Sunday, March 16, 2008

Stealth Du

We had six Outlaws at today's (Mar 16th) Stealth Du. (Naomi and Mr. T, Karen Williams, Cody, Greg Southard, and me.) This was easily the best organized event at Holloman that I have ever done. (It was one of the best organized races ever, ranking right up there with Silverman.) They started on time, had lots of volunteers (but Mr. T still took a wrong turn on the bike), served a pasta lunch at the O-Club as soon as the race was over, and had the results and awards ceremony completed less than one hour after the last person finished the race.

It was kind of cool (maybe 60 degrees) and kind of windy (about 20 mph), but not bad at all for March in New Mexico.

Sixty-four individuals/relays started the race. Jason Atkinson was well in front of the field during the run (although you might not recognize him now that he has cut his hair.) Mr. T took off after him on the bike, but then made his wrong turn, followed by losing his breakfast (not a pretty sight) after a couple of miles. He never caught Jason, but he did finish as the second overall individual.

The rest of the Outlaws all managed to podium in their groups. Cody made his age-group debut and finished third. Greg finished his first race since last summer and finished second. Along with Mr. T, Naomi, Karen, and I all won our groups.

Personally, I don't know why, but I've been real slow in training this year. My run was pretty average today, but I was real happy with my bike. (21.4 mph average in the wind.) I caught a few people on the bike, and only one guy passed me. It must have been my new Outlaw aero helmet. Being the shy person that I am and lacking in self-confidence, I felt a little dorky wearing it. (Although I only wore it while on the bike and not during the run or the awards ceremony.) But I think there were some jealous people there, especially after they saw how I was flying on the bike!

It is such a relief to not be doing IMAZ this April. I was telling Greg last night about my boxing career at the USAF Academy. We had our boxing bouts in the late afternoon. On the days when I had a bout, I couldn't think about anything during the day except for the bout. The last two years, I could never do anything from January-April without having IMAZ in the back of my mind. I think I was in better shape the last two years, but I'm sure enjoying myself more this year. I sure enjoyed this race!

muffinman

5 comments:

S. Baboo said...

I am very jealous! I usually try to go to this race even despite its historical problems but I’ve got the 50 next weekend.

The helmets are great aren’t they!

Congrats to all!

skoshi said...

That helmet makes you into a lean, mean, slicing through the wind, time trialing machine!
Nice bike split.
Nice race report.
Can I get a copy of the photo (when it gets to you)? We should have had you wear that helmet, since that's what won the race for you....
:)

Bones said...

We need to take a team picture with all of us wearing our aero helmets! All I can think of now is IMAZ in November, but at least I don't have to ride in 20 degree weather for 6 hours.

Podium quest said...

Great post race report. By the way, congrats on an absolutely amazing bike on Sun!

SWTrigal said...

Wow! Stealth has certainly come a long way since a few years ago when they didn't even know at the gate that there was a race that day! Congratulations!!