Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Goodbye Old Friend

I bought a Timex "Ironman" wristwatch almost five years ago. That was 82 races, two bikes, 15 pairs of running shoes, and what seems like a dozen or so "NM Outlaws" jerseys, shorts, skinsuits, and aero helmets ago.

However, it is dying. The display is getting harder and harder to see. I thought about taking it in to a jeweler to have the battery replaced, but watches never seem to work quite right after getting a battery transplant.

Tonight I was at Wally World, and I picked up a new "Ironman". The display is nice and clear, but this watch has no history to it.

What should I do with the old watch? Toss it in the old sock drawer and forget about it? Cremate it and spread its ashes over my favorite 5K run? Build a Viking funeral pyre and float it out into the middle of Bottomless Lake after setting it on fire? Offer it up to the Smithsonian Museum? Scratch a likeness of Ronald Reagan on the back of it and then sell it on EBay?

Goodbye, old friend.

muffinman

1 comment:

Bones said...

I know exactly how you feel. I couldn't part with my old watch, we had gone through our first HIM, training with great friends, races, three replacement bands.

Still have it but I can't read the display and the band doesn't work. Hummm maybe it's time to let go.....